Saturday, July 31, 2010

212/365

212/365

Picture info: ISO 100, 1/800, f/2.8, 50mm, Av

This was the last shot I took of Riley today before his face hit pavement.

We had a great day today. He and I did some yardwork this morning and after that, we headed out with Marci and Hay to meet my brother's family, whom we haven't seen for 2 years or so. They returned last night from 3 year "temp" assignment in Ireland.

The ensuing lunch and reunion were highly fun and entertaining, as well as tiring. After that, we came home and Hay and Rye wanted to get some bike riding in. They were crusing around and before long, I heard a WHACK and then Riley crying. Unfortunately they were at the other end of the cul-de-sac, so off I went.

As I got closer I was shocked to see Riley bleeding from the nose and mouth. I scooped him up and trucked back home.

Upon further inspection, his upper teeth were all bloody, his hand and knee as well. He had an abrasion on his nose and, surprisingly, a big abrasion on his forehead just between his eyebrows. It was a surprise because he had a helmet on, and on correctly (I'm a stickler for him and others to wear their helmets straight and not back on their heads).

Anyway, we wanted to err on the side of caution so we booked him over to the Bellevue Children's Hospital clinic. They took him in and checked him out. Before long, he fell asleep so Hay and I went to grab dinner.

As it turns out, he was pretty lucky. Aside from the aforementioned scrapes and bumps, Riley escaped any serious injury. He complained of a headache tonight but we're not sure if it's due to the crash or his regular Chiari headaches, or both.

After the clinic, we got him and Marci some dinner and he was pretty much regular Rye, just with super fat lip. It was almost like nothing happened, until you looked at his blood-stained shirt.

In any event, we'll be keeping a close eye on him. We're just happy he's not hurt worse.

For blog readers, here's a bonus picture of the crash aftermath. Shot on my Blackberry.

0 comments:

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP