Tuesday, January 12, 2010

12/365


Picture info: ISO1600 1/40 f/4.0 70mm

Late last year, I volunteered to be my son's and daughter's class photographer. Basically, the task was to take candid shots of the kids to be put in the yearbook. I took some at Halloween and was there again today to shoot more.

You'd think that by spending 2 hours at a school taking pictures, you'd come up with something cool for Project 365.

Well, that remains to be seen.

I did take lots of kid pictures, but after my recent run in with the law, I'm not about to post any of those without permission (not that they're that post-worthy anyway). I did try to keep P365 in mind, though, so not all my snaps were of kids.

I did learn a few things today. For most of my shots, I did them truly as candids. I wanted the kids to be unaware of me shooting. When I examined Haley's yearbook from last year, I saw that probably 90% of the candids were all taken when the kids were looking into the lens. And you know what? The pictures were way better that way. With the amount of cropping that will be needed for the candids, there's only so many pictures of kids at desks you can look at. So, I think I'm going to see about coming back in and doing headshots or posed pix of the kids goofing around.

The picture I posted is from my daughter's classroom. I guess as the days of school go by, the kids mark off each day on a calendar. I thought that would work nicely with the calendar I'm working on with P365. It's not a very inspired picture. I bumped the clarity and vibrance up a little and warmed it in Lightroom, but I probably could've just left it alone as well.

On an aside, I got Joe McNally's Hot Shoe Diaries from the library yesterday. Pardon the pun, but it's enlightening. There is so much to learn about taking pictures. I'm just scratching (barely) the surface.

0 comments:

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP