Thursday, January 7, 2010

7/365

An indirect relative of mine is someone many of you in the Seattle area know, well, indirectly. I had a doctor's appointment today (no worries, it's just a sinus infection) and had to head to the library. I turned and saw this guy (let's call him "K") listening to his CD player at a bus stop. He didn't see me, and even if he did, I was whizzing by in my car anyway.

As I passed him, I started thinking that this could be a great photo op. I turned the car around and parked in an adjacent lot. I approached him with camera in hand and said hi. He saw the camera and immediately held his CD player in front of his face, between he and I. I told him who I was and how I was related and he seemed to mellow out a little. I asked if I could take a few pictures and he declined, saying he was shy.

I asked how this could be as he's been on TV and in print for what he does (he's in "energetic advertising") and he said that he could be shy and outgoing at the same time. I shrugged. I wasn't going to force the issue.

He asked me for a ride to Issaquah. He had just finished his shift and had missed his bus, I guess. I had nothing else to do, so we hopped into the car and off we went. Surprisingly enough, it was pretty easy talking to him. He did clam up when I asked about his family, but we talked music (he was listening to "I'm a Believer" by the Monkees), work ("energetic advertising" = sign waver, but this guy makes it entertaining), why he spoke in an English accent (from all the Beatles and Monkees he listened to).

Before long, I got him home and it was off to the rest of my day. Here's a picture of some exhaust pipes on the roof of the Newport Way Library. Now I'm thinking I should've snapped a shot of K as he went into his apartment complex, but that wouldn't have felt right. Maybe next time.

Picture info: ISO100 1/250 f/1.8, shot in B&W, some troublesome branches removed in Elements.


0 comments:

Our Blogger Templates Web Design

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP